Tuesday, October 31, 2006

GALLOPING ALONG IN INCHES

Managed another 895 words on The Corpse-Rat King tonight, despite the interruptions from trick-or-treating kids. I'm almost at the 10 000 word mark, which is when it really will feel like a novel project to me: after that, there's no turning back. With the kids in bed, and Aiden out t-o-ting with friends, it was easy to get lost in the action and get some momentum going: I've found a whole new scene just waiting for me to get to the right point before it introduced itself and waylaid my plot. It's going to be fun to write: my hero Marius and I are both in the dark about how to get through it, so we'll be discovering the solution together, which I always find fun. That, however, is tomorrow night. Unlike Marius, I have a day at work tomorrow in which to day dream :)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meterZokutou word meter
9,628 / 90,000
(9.0%)


On a completely different subject, just how cool was Time Team tonight? An entire medieval Scottish city! One of these days I'm going to invent a time machine, go back to 1983, and kick my High School Guidance Counsellor right in her fat arse.....

CHILDREN OF MEN

Went to see it today. No review or spoilers, simply: the best SF film I have seen in years, and whilst it had its flaws and was a little slow in parts, it's been a long time since I've watched an SF movie with such intelligence. Almost makes having to sit through Serenity last week worthwhile....

OOOOOHHHHH, BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE.....

Aiden's just arrived home from his trick or treating expedition, with a bag full of booty and a raging sugar-induced thirst. From which I gather he enjoyed himself :)

So, to commemorate his night out, and pat myself on the back for my Jack Pierce-like efforts, this is what we sent out into the streets tonight:

BEFORE:


A normal, every day boy, well adjusted and unaware of the terrible transformation that awaits him....

AFTER:


Oh My God, the horror! the horrroooorrrrr!!!!!!!!!


And yes, I know what order I put them in. But just picture Aiden's reaction when he comes in and reads this :)


Song of the moment: Absolute Beginners David Bowie
Reading: On Writing Stephen King. Just recharging the motivational batteries.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Children of Men without ever seeing Serenity, so it's win-win.

David C

Unknown said...

If I was in the mood for a post-Civil War Western I might have liked Serenity. You know, if it had believable characters, and good writing and stuff....