Monday, November 10, 2008

HAPPY.... (creak)..... BIRTHDAY.... (groan)... TO.... I NEED A REST

I turn 38 tomorrow.

To be honest, it's kind of snuck up on me this year, and I find myself wholly unprepared. The family, however, are far more prepared than I, so last night all six of them (including Cassie, and her boyfriend Mark, who we met for the first time) took me out to dinner, where they presented me with a new Tim Powers novel for my reading pleasure (Three Days to Never) and forced me to eat until parts of my insides seceded in protest. Much big news was revealed, and although I can't discuss it just yet, those on Lyn's LJ flist will know of which I speak. Suffice to say, many gasteds were flabbered, but I, for one, am pleased as punch.

Moreover, in what is becoming, at least for me, an enjoyably morbid tradition, I can now present to you the list of far more famous and/or talented people than I who I have now outlived:

  • Lou Gehrig (All together now: Lou Gehrig, died of Lou Gehrig's Disease. How'd he not see that coming?)
  • Jam Master Jay
  • Medgar Evers
  • Michael Hutchence
  • Bobby Darin
  • Sal Mineo
  • Robert Burns
  • Colin Clive
  • Samuel Taylor-Coleridge
  • Marie Antoinette
  • Raphael
  • Arthur Rimbaud
  • Irving Thalberg
  • Vincent Van Gogh

Does it say something about me that I'm fine with the idea of being older than the likes of Rimbaud, Burns and Queen Marie, but being older than Michael Hutchence makes me feel like a fat old bloke?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Many happy returns for your big day! Sounds like you all had a splendid time. And, ooh, coinkydink, I've recently bought that same Powers novel, myself. :)

Cat Sparks said...

Happy birthday old bean. It shits me that you'll always be younger than me.

Nicky Strickland said...

Happy Birthday!

Plus you also still have BOTH your ears :P

Birthdays are sneaky buggers - they always creep & crawl then WHAM they get you.