Monday, August 14, 2006

HOODWINKED

Is a damn good idea ruined.

Too adult for the four year old, too slow for the adults, and the animation was bad in a way I haven't seen for years (C'mon, how could you forget to put shadows under people so they don't look like they're walking three inches above the ground?). The few moments of genuine humour are spaced too far apart to justify even the short 80 minute journey. It's hard to see who this movie is aimed at. To be honest, it didn't seem aimed at anybody, rather, it felt as if they just threw a whole bunch of ideas at a wall and kept what stuck.

In a way, it reminded me of Hudson Hawk in that there are some lovely bits (Patrickk Warburton's Big Bad Wolf and Glenn Close's Granny are great, as is the banjo-playing hillbilly goat) but the movie as a whole leaves you hollow and regretful.

I'm really disappointed. Presenting the Red Riding Hood story like a crime movie a la The Usual Suspects was a great idea, a chance to do something hip and self-aware and still throw enough light and movement in to keep the kiddies satisfied. But they blow it. What a pity.

YOU. WILL. BE. LIKE. USSSSUH.

I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the new season of Doctor Who. I thought the first 3 episodes were well on the lame side, and whilst episode 4 represented a big increase in quality, I looked forward to the 2-part Cyberman revival with some trepidation.

Heh.

I am, perhaps, in the minority in that while I've always liked the Daleks, I've always loved The Cybermen. They are my monster of choice, and as soon as the resurrection of the Doctor was announced I knew they'd be back to join him. Some things, like Daleks and the TARDIS, simply cannot be done without.

For the most part, Saturday's opening episode was solid without being spectacular. The zeppelins were cool: I mean, hey, they're zeppelins. The Ricky/Mickey storyline was looking interesting. But the flaws and logic holes that have plagued the first 16 episodes were there in abundance, large and obvious for all to see. And then....

You. Will. Be. Like. Usssuh.

I actually jumped in my seat for joy. They were back, just like they were meant to be. Logical, implacable, desperate, terrifying. As Luscious will testify, I was still breaking out into fan boy giggling fits three hours after the episode was finished. And then, the next morning, the A-boy reminded me of that other great Cyberman quote, and I can't wait another 5 days to find out if the writers think it's the perfect ending, like we do:

We. Will. Survivvvvvuh.

Pleasepleasepleaseplease.....

THE MEMORY GETS BIGGER

Luscious received a phone call from Producer Matt during the week. Seems my script for the The Memory of Breathing movie has been well received. So well, in fact, that they want me to prepare a second draft. At feature length.

It's a long, long way from here to there, but if everything that needs to fall into place falls into place, Memory could be a feature film, written (at least the first two drafts), by me.

My guidance counsellor didn't see that one coming...

No comments: