Friday, October 08, 2004

GOOD COOKIN'!

Have to send a big fat thanks to the ultra-fab Adrian & Michelle, who returned from Worldcon with a fangroovelus gift: I'd asked them to bring me back a "strange book of some description". Oh, and as they were going to Canada on their big trip, a moose :)

Today they presented me with a stuffed moose (I have a 'weird stuffed animals' compulsion: it'll fit nicely with the seahorse, the blue-ringed octopus, the stingray, the thylacine...) and drum rolllllllll Gourmet Style Road Kill Cooking by Jeff Eberbaugh.

It's going to sit beautifully between my Doctor Who Cookbook and Tastes of Wales.

Thanks guys, the gifts are brilliant!

EBAY MADNESS!

Have a bit of money to spend on myself this week, and in a fit of madness decided I'd see what Ebay was all about on the off-chance I might be able to get myself something unusual and funky to sit alongside the ammonite fossils, the talking Dalek, Lyn's chain mail earrings, and all the other flotsam and weirdsam with which we fill Triffbatt House.

At 11pm last night I snared myself a Roman ring from around 100AD.

Now the ring is groovy, and I can't wait to get it in the mail and so on, (and I've subsequently bid on a bunch of other stuff too...) but I can't help thinking that Ebay does remove a bit of the storytelling aspect to hunting down unusual items: "It was a terrible travail, son, to get this ring. I sat on my office chair so long my ass went numb..."

Weird: I actually think Ebay makes it too easy. I'm not sure I'll use it a lot. I like the thrill of the hunt.

Of course, you'll notice I mentioned that I HAVE bid on other stuff...

No comments: