- Shadow Of The Vampire- Willem Dafoe did *not* win an Oscar for this movie. Because the Academy are morons. Brilliance in every frame. Superb
- The Lost Boys- fun, suitably scary teen-vamp film that doesn't lapse into pastiche or bad attempts at 'cool' But oh, those 80's shirts!
- Hellboy: The Golden Army- beautiful, terrible movie, which ultimately has too many obvious flaws to be satisfying. *So* close to wondrous
- Wall.E- stunning graphics hide a simplistic morality fable about a halfwit and his psycho girlfriend. Engaging, but not in Pixar's top 3.
- Ringworld by Larry Niven- 1960s pop science meets 1930s plot, characters, writing style, bigotry and misogyny-- this crap won a Nebula!
- The Hunt For The BTK Killer- chilling Gregg Henry performance wasted on a banal, by-the-numbers Movie Of The Week production.
- Who Killed Christopher Robin by Terry Rawlings- the death of sociopathic Stones founder Brian Jones: nobody comes out looking good
- James & The Giant Peach- tedious, badly-animated collection of unpleasant Roald Dahl template characters doing nothing in a boring way
- Meet The Robinson- Aims for wacky and crazy fun but simply comes across as contrived and soulless. A miserable failure on all fronts
- Jimmy Carr: Comedian- stunningly funny live performance from a man not afraid to chart all four corners of taste. The best standup this year
Sunday, January 25, 2009
The next ten reviews-in-less-than-140-characters from my twitter review site review140: