Sunday, January 04, 2009

NEW WHO GOES FOR NEW WHO THE HELL?

Matt Smith, then, is the new Doctor.

I'm pleased it's not going to be Patterson Joseph, an actor I've found buffoonish and completely lacking in presence in every role in which I've seen him. Smith is young, at 26, and as one site has commented, it's a brave move "swapping the pasty skinny white guy with stupid hair for another pasty skinny white guy with stupid hair." But, having seen him in the woefully tedious BBC adaptations of Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart novels, he has presence, and charisma, and a physicality that both Tennant and Joseph lack. I'm hoping to see a much more physical Doctor, something approaching the first 4 seasons of Tom Baker's run, before he became cartoonish and silly. Or at the very least, a Doctor that doesn't make me snort in derision every time he runs. I think it's a brave casting decision, and one that might just pay off.

And if it doesn't, and the current casting trend continues, we can all look forward, in four years time, to seeing the next Doctor played by a twelve year old lesbian...

2 comments:

Dave Cake said...

Allow me to somewhat predictably say that I think a 12 year old lesbian Doctor could potentially be kind of awesome.

(but then, it would be potentially awesome because it would be a kind of brave, shake up the show, kind of thing -- the exact opposite of their rather safe decision here)

Unknown said...

I've seen Smith in the current Aunty series Party Animals, where he does very well playing a nerdy, lonely Party researcher with no idea about how to talk to girls. He's one of the best things in the whole show, imho. I'm hopeful for good things.