Sunday, October 12, 2008

SHE'S JUST A LITTLE TEASE (SHE'S A FEMME FATALE)

Marriage to my darling wife has countless charming and wonderful aspects. One of the funniest, thanks to umpteen years spent as member of a religious order that frowns upon many aspects of modern living, is discovering just how many sections of popular culture she hasn't experienced. The sentence "You haven't seen (insert movie here)?" in an incredulous tone, is a standing joke these days (Alien? Really? Predator? Really? Inside Seka? Really?).

The flip side to that is watching as she discovers something wonderful that she's missed along the way, some popular icon or form that has passed by her radar while she's been focussed upon doing the right thing by her beliefs. Kurt Vonnegut, Phil Dick, a tolerance of punk music....

Yesterday, driving out to coffee with friends, I turned to say something to her and found her with her eyes rimmed by tears. She had discovered the Velvet Underground :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this little anecdote will stay with me forever - makes me well up a bit too - you're both v lucky.

Adam B

Unknown said...

Yeah, I figure I got lucky :)