Tuesday, February 17, 2004

IN THE MAIL

3 stories sent out today, to Interzone, Aurealis, and Argosy. That makes 4 for the week, including the one I emailed to All-Star Zeppelin Adventure Stories the other day.

I've set myself a list of 13 magazines in the US and Europe that I will send stories to this year: I'm desperate to make the jump from solid Australian sales to making a mark on the larger scale, and the only way to do that is to start selling regularly to larger markets. Interzone is on that list, and I consider Aurealis to be the top Australian market, as no other local magazine currently has its mix of reputation, editorial quality, and distribution. Argosy and ASZAS weren't on the list when I drew it up, but that's an advantage: both look to be high-quality markets, and if it leaves me still needing to send to 12 off my list then it forces me to produce quality work.

Along with some fun and funky markets like Robert Hood and Robin Penn's Daikaiju anthology; Nigel Read's Superluminal project; and ConSensual A Trois, the year is shaping up as both challenging and enjoyable. Of course, if I don't sell them, you might have to look for a "Weird Shit I Can't Find A 2nd Market For" collection sometime next year :)

No comments: