Tuesday, March 01, 2005

IT'S CALLED SLEEP, YOU HAD IT ONCE, TRY NOT TO MISS IT TOO MUCH

Felt along the edges of Connor's gums this evening. I'd say the first tooth is about 2 weeks from joining us. Bandaids and germoline for Luscious' nipples, right this way!

I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING REMOTELY FUNNY TO SAY ABOUT THIS

I've picked up a few days data entry work for the electoral commission. I sit at a table with 4 other waifs and strays, tapping away at a keyboard and listening to them chat while they sort postal and absentee votes into piles. Now, I know that this kind of temporary work doesn't always attract the shiniest stars in the firmament, but still:

Two of my tablemates were talking about their pets today. I consider it a sign of my burgeoning maturity that I stayed upright after the following exchange--

She: We've always had a huge amount of pets. (Rattles off long list of animals currently sharing her little palace in the suburbs)
He: I've always wanted some native animals as pets. You should get one.
She: Well, we do have a dog...

DAMN. NOW WHAT DO I DO?

I've just had the epilogue of the novel come to me. Complete. Word perfect. I know exactly what's going to happen, who's going to be present, what they're going to say... all of it, in one fat lump. All I have to do is transcribe.

Problem is, I'm still in the midst of the final confrontation and anywhere up to 10 000 words away from it. And if I write it I just know the book's going to twist away from it anyway, leaving me with a beautiful epilogue that doesn't bear any relation to the novel that came before.

I hate it when this happens.

I guess I'll just write the bloody thing anyway and see what comes of it. But if you pick up a magazine in a year's time and read a story that sounds suspiciously like it should have 80 000 words of backstory...

SOMETIMES MANUSCRIPT ASSESSMENT CAN BE HARD WORK

How do you start being positive about a manuscript that bills itself as being for readers "...in their 30s, better educated, possibly already interested in SF- typical Star Trek fans"?

I'm trying, I'm really trying.

PROUD

Luscious started back at Uni today. Last year she managed a High Distinction, despite spending most of the semester heavily pregnant and in pain. This semester she has Connor in tow, yet her determination to improve herself and enjoy her University education doesn't waver. I'm proud beyond words of her for so many reasons, but this is one of the biggies.

A figure from her past once told her she'd never graduate because she wasn't good enough to stick at anything. Some comments have more to do with the speaker's insecurities than the listener's capabilities. I don't doubt her for a moment, and more importantly, she's beginning to realise what she can do when she believes in herself, and has the support she deserves.

No comments: