Saturday, April 27, 2013

Review: Embassytown


Embassytown
Embassytown by China MiƩville

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Really difficult to get into for the first hundred pages, and I was on the verge of giving up several times, but I am a fan of Mieville's work, so I persevered, and was paid off with a fascinating and beautifully structured book, before the last act descended into a straight colonial uprising story with very little to elevate it above the ordinary. Ultimately, while it is highly ambitious, and some of the constructs within are up to Mieville's wonderfully high standards, the overarching narrative structure runs out of puff, leaving it, for all its pretensions, resembling every other outnumbered-humans-amongst-the-natives space opera out there.



View all my reviews

No comments: