Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Review: The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker


The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker by Matthew Diffee

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Hilarious stuff-- cartoons dubbed too vulgar, edgy, pointed our just plain 'not quite right' for The New Yorker, chosen and commented upon by the cartoonists who submitted them.

I'm a huge fan of single panel cartoons, and count the likes of Charles Addams and Gahan Wilson amongst my artistic heroes, so a collection like this was always going to suck the money right out of my wallet. And it doesn't disappoint, with contributions from such personal luminaries as Wilson, Jack Zeigler, Mort Gerberg and William Haefeli, I was in cartoon fanboy dreamland.

From the line of mourners filing past Jesus on the crucifix and muttering "So much for nepotism", to the pigeon announcing Jackson Pollock as his inspiration, this is a collection that rewards the darker sense of humour, and is cacklingly delicious.



View all my reviews

No comments: