Monday, November 10, 2008

NANOWRIMO, ACT ONE

Always remember
The tenth of November
Coz if you don't you'll be standing in Kings Park at dawn a day early wondering where the hell everyone else is.

Also, today marks the one-third mark in this year's Nanowrimo. Keen-eyed readers will remember that I'm giving it a go this year, for the first time. (Anyone who wishes to link up with my progress on the site itself can look for me under the username CRKIng). The idea is to write 50 000 words of a novel (okay, strictly speaking,a 50K word novel, but I'm playing slightly differently. It's my prerogative as a woman...) in 30 days, an average of 1667 words per day over the month. I've chosen to use the time to continue working on the first draft of The Corpse-Rat King, my second novel, which had encountered a little bit of stallage in recent days. The hope was that committing to the project would help kick-start the work again.

So how am I doing?

As of today, I have completed 22 752 words, approximately 45 and a bit percent of the target total. More importantly, when added to the 11 689 I had already completed, it gives me a grand total of 34 441 words under my belt, enough that I can be pretty happy with where the book is heading and start thinking about the path I want the middle of the novel to take (I have a pretty firm idea of the final third, which, amongst other things, means I write novels a little bit like Underpants Gnomes make money...)

Tonight I am going to reward myself with a night off, and I shall eat ice cream and watch documentaries about dinosaurs. Or whatever Lyn wants :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy birthday, Lee. Congrats on, well, you know ... still having them and stuff. As I hit the same milestone as you (but a few months earlier) and--HOLY CRAP! LOOK AT THAT! ... OVER THERE! *steals list of famous/talented people now outlived and shoves down back of pants* Oh ... um ... gee, just a ... um ... anyway, happy birthday and stuff. (And, go the CRK.)

Jason C

Anonymous said...

Oops! Previous comment was meant to be on the birthday blog. Just shows how effective I am at 7am in the morning.