NOW THAT'S SERVICE!
Knock, knock, knock on the door the other evening, and who should it be but Angela Challis and Shane Jiraiya Cummings, purveyors and head bods of Brimstone Press, personally delivering our contributor copies of the Book of Shadows and Australian Dark Fantasy & Horror 2006.
We live a suburb or so away from Ang and Shane, as as Ang said, by the time they paid for postage they could drive the things over and have a conversation to boot. So they did, and a fine conversation was had, including the deep, dark secret history that Shane shares with frogs. (All true: ask him about it the next time you see him)
In the meantime, get over to Brimstone's website and have a look. The books are beautiful, more so in the, uh, flesh. And the line-ups within the pages are as good as anything you'll see come out of this country this year.
We've received a medical diagnosis that will change a few things over the coming year. It's nothing to be alarmed about, and for the moment it remains private and ours alone (we'll tell people when we're ready to do so), but don't be surprised if we pick and choose our social commitments very carefully over the next year.
Our focus has become increasingly narrowed upon our family in recent times. This will remain so for the foreseeable future.
I've had this conversation! Sort of.....
5 THINGS ABOUT 2006
Oh yeah, it's end of year meme time. And, you know, baaaaaa.......
Five things that 2006 taught me:
1. Friendship can have a mileage limit
2. My career goals are mine alone, and I'll take whatever measures are necessary to achieve them.
3. Writing may not be what makes me happy, but I am unhappy without it.
4. Friends don't let friends do Prime
5. Lyn, the kids, writing. All else is negotiable.
Five personally significant events of 2006:
1. Being contracted to write the The Memory of Breathing screenplay
2. The decision to move to brisbane in January 2008
3. Moving into our new house
4. Lyn's recent medical diagnosis
5. Aiden coming to live with us permanently
Five things I want to do in 2007:
1. Secure an agent
2. Complete my second novel, and a non-genre novel
3. Sell Napoleone's Land
4. Save up the money to move to Brisbane
5. Become independent of all non-family obligations. Everybody is the hero of their own story. I wish to recapture the right to write that story as I see fit.
Five people I'd like to know better in 2007
Actually, that's your job. I'll just keep turning up and shooting my mouth off. You guys just have to stop being afraid to come up and say hi :)
Besides, I'll have 16 Clarion students and the week-after-me tutors to meet. My list is already filling up....
Song of the moment: Velvet Goldmine David Bowie
Reading: Australian Dark Fantasy & Horror 2006 Challis & Cummings (eds)