Thursday, May 30, 2013

SILENCE OF THE HAMS

There's been a peculiar silence round these parts recently: we're changing ISPs, and thanks to the 19th Century, it's going to take 2 weeks without internet to have all the connections connected and the contracts contracted and the... well, fuck it, I'm on my phone and public computers until then.

Still, it has enabled me to do one worthy thing in the meantime: finish Magwitch and Bugrat, my palate-cleansing sorbet project between novels which has transmuted into a 16 000 word kids novel. Thanks to the upcoming long weekend-- made a day longer by a strategically placed RDO-- I'll be running through a first edit this weekend, and will hopefully be gently prodding Agent Rich as to his interest within the next two to three weeks, while I eye off the enormous pile of paper that is Father Muerte and the Divine and try to persuade myself that, seeing as I'm already in an editing mood, I may as well throw myself at it.

And now that the month of insanity at my day job has finished, I've been able to catch up on other, more personal things, like visiting my father and greeting my Aunty Celia and Uncle David a few days before they flew back to Nottingham after having been over for the better part of a month or more.

But, ultimately, this is a brief missive before the coins run out. More later, my little friends, but for the moment, imagine me snuggled under a blanket somewhere in the 19th century, pen in one hand, paper in the other, with a hot toddy or whatever it is old people in the 19th Century drink, waiting for the internet wallah to bring me my connection.

Sigh.




No comments: